In an age where everything is moving online, cyber security has never been more important. But for those of us who are new to the field, where do we even start? In this blog post, we will explore how to start learning about cyber security. We will cover everything from the basics of cyber security to more advanced concepts. By the end of this post, you will have a better understanding of the steps you need to take to start learning about this important topic.
Why Cyber Security?
As the world increasingly moves online, so too do the threats to our security. With hackers becoming more sophisticated and cyber attacks on the rise, it’s never been more important to learn about cyber security.
But where do you start? Below we’ve outlined some key reasons why you should start learning about cyber security, as well as some tips on how to get started.
- Cyber Security is vital for protecting our online livesThese days, we use the internet for just about everything – from shopping and banking to socialising and keeping up with the news. As such, our entire lives are now stored online, which can make us vulnerable to attack.
By learning about cyber security, you can help protect yourself and your loved ones from becoming victims of identity theft or other online crimes.
- Cyber attacks are on the riseSadly, cyber attacks are becoming more and more common, with businesses, charities and even governments being targeted. The cost of these attacks can be huge, both in terms of money and reputation.
That’s why it’s so important for organisations to invest in strong cyber security measures, and for individuals to learn about how to protect themselves online. Only by working together can we hope to stay one step ahead of the hackers.
- It’s a growing industry with great career prospectsThe field of cyber security is constantly evolving, as new technologies emerge and new threats arise. This means there is a growing demand for skilled cyber security professionals, making it a great industry to get into.
So, if you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career, learning about cyber security could be the perfect choice for you.
- You can make a differenceBy learning about cyber security, you can help make the internet a safer place for everyone. By sharing your knowledge with others, you can help raise awareness of the dangers of cybercrime and make it easier for people to protect themselves.
So, if you’re ready to start learning about cyber security, check out our range of free resources today.
What Is Cyber Security?
Cyber security is the practice of protecting electronic information by mitigating computer and network vulnerabilities. It includes both the hardware and software aspects of security. The goal of cyber security is to protect data, networks, and devices from unauthorized access or destruction.
There are many different types of cyber security threats, such as viruses, malware, phishing scams, and Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. Cybersecurity professionals work to identify these threats and develop countermeasures to protect against them.
There is a growing demand for cybersecurity professionals as the number of cyberattacks increases. Those interested in this field should have strong technical skills and be able to think critically about how to best protect against potential threats.
The Different Types of Cyber Security
There are many different types of cyber security, and each one is important in its own way. Here are some of the most common:
- Network security: This type of security focuses on protecting networks from attacks. It includes measures like firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
- Application security: This type of security focuses on protecting individual applications from attacks. It includes measures like input validation and output encoding.
- Database security: This type of security focuses on protecting databases from attack.
How to Get Started in Cyber Security?
If you want to get started in cyber security, there are a few things you can do to get started. First, you should learn the basics of networking and computer security. You can do this by reading books or taking classes on the subject. Once you have a basic understanding of how computer networks work and how to secure them, you can start looking for entry-level jobs in the field.
There are many entry-level jobs in cyber security, but not all of them require a college degree. Many companies are willing to train entry-level employees in the specific skills they need for the job. However, having a degree in computer science or a related field will give you an advantage when applying for these jobs.
Once you have an entry-level job in cyber security, you can start working your way up the ladder. There are many different career paths you can take in this field, so find one that interests you and start working towards it. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve anything in cyber security.
Where to Learn More About Cyber Security?
There are many ways to learn about cyber security, and the best way for you will depend on your learning style and goals. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Online resources: there are many great websites and online courses that can teach you about cyber security. A few of our favorites include Cybrary, SANS, and Udemy.
- In-person training: if you prefer a more hands-on learning approach, consider attending a training course or conference. Many companies offer in-house training, and there are also many great public events like Black Hat and Def Con.
- Books: Don’t discount the power of a good book! There are many excellent titles available on cyber security, from introductory guides to more specialized texts. Check out our list of must-read books on cyber security for some great recommendations.
How to start learning cyber security?
In order to start learning cyber security, there are a few key steps that you should take. First, it is important that you understand the basics of computer networking and how information is transmitted over the internet. This will give you a strong foundation on which to build your cyber security knowledge.
Next, you should familiarize yourself with the most common types of attacks and vulnerabilities. Understanding how these work will help you identify potential threats and protect against them. There are many resources available online that can help you learn about this topic.
Finally, you should consider pursuing formal training in cyber security. There are many excellent programs available that can give you the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a career in this field. Cyber security is an exciting and growing field, and there are many opportunities for those who are qualified.
What are the benefits of cyber security?
There are many benefits of cyber security, but some of the most important ones include:
- Protecting your online privacy: Cyber security can help you protect your online privacy by keeping your personal information safe from hackers and other cyber criminals.
- Defending against identity theft: Cyber security can also help defend against identity theft by preventing hackers from accessing your personal information.
- Safeguard your financial information: In addition to protecting your personal information, cyber security can also safeguard your financial information from being stolen by hackers.
- Helping to keep the internet safe: By keeping your personal information safe, you are also helping to keep the internet safe for everyone else. This is because if hackers cannot access your personal information, they will not be able to use it to commit crime or carry out other malicious activities online.
- Reducing the risk of malware and viruses: Cyber security can help reduce the risk of malware and viruses by ensuring that only safe and trusted websites are accessed on your computer or device.
What are the best resources for learning cyber security?
There are many great resources for learning about cyber security, but it can be overwhelming to try to figure out where to start. Here are a few of our favorite resources to help you get started:
- The Cyber Security Body of Knowledge (CSBOK) is a great starting point for anyone wanting to learn about the basics of cyber security. It covers everything from risk management to incident response and is a great way to get an overview of the field.
- SANS Institute offers a variety of free and paid courses on cyber security topics, ranging from general awareness to more specific technical training. They also offer certifications for those who want to show employers that they have the skillset required for the job.
- Cybrary is a free online platform that offers courses on a variety of cyber security topics, as well as certification prep material. Their course offerings are constantly expanding, so you’re sure to find something that interests you.
- Udemy also has a number of cyber security courses available, both free and paid. While some of their courses are aimed at beginners, they also offer more advanced training for those who want to deepen their knowledge in specific areas.
- Finally, don’t forget about good old-fashioned books! There are many excellent titles available on all aspects of cyber security, so doing some research at your local library or bookstore can also be a great way to learn more about this important topic.
Cyber security is a vast and ever-changing field, but it’s one that is crucial to protecting our online lives. If you’re interested in learning more about cyber security, the best place to start is by doing your research and finding resources that can help you understand the basics. Once you have a good foundation of knowledge, you can then start exploring more specific areas of interest. There are plenty of free resources available online, so there’s no excuse not to get started today.