For businesses of all sizes, cyber security is a top priority. With the proliferation of online threats, it’s no surprise that cyber security consultants are in high demand. In fact, according to Paysa, the average salary for a cyber security consultant is $123,000 per year. So how can you break into this lucrative industry? The first step is recognizing that you have what it takes to be a cyber security expert. Next, find an accredited certification program that will teach you the skills you need to be successful in this field. And finally, get hired as a cyber security consultant. With these three tips in mind, you’ll be on your way to earning an impressive salary as a cyber security consultant.
What is Cyber Security?
Cyber security is a rapidly growing field with good salaries to match. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for computer security specialists was $110,540 in May 2017. However, this figure can vary greatly depending on the experience and qualifications of the consultant.
Some cyber security consultants work as full-time employees of large companies, while others offer their services as independent contractors. It’s important to keep in mind that many cyber security firms don’t release information about their average salaries or contract terms. However, according to one estimate, the median salary for a corporate information security specialist working full time was $124,470 in 2016.
Independent consultants may earn even more. A study by ISACA found that the median annual compensation for independent information security consultants was $205,000 in 2015. This figure includes both corporate and individual clients.
Types of Cyber Security
Cyber Security is a growing industry with a lot of potential. If you want to make money as a cyber security consultant, there are a few things you need to know. The most important thing is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. However, here are five types of cyber security consultants and what they typically earn.
- Security Risk Assessor – This type of consultant assesses the risks associated with cyber attacks and makes recommendations on how best to mitigate them. They may work for a company that handles cybersecurity or for an outside contractor hired by companies to perform this task. Salaries for this position can vary based on experience, but range from around $60,000 to $150,000 annually.
- Penetration Tester – A penetration tester is someone who tests the security measures of computer networks by trying to break into them and exploit any vulnerabilities they find. This requires a lot of skill and knowledge in hacking techniques, which means salaries for penetration testers can be quite high – up to $160,000 per year in some cases!
- Information Security Manager – An information security manager is responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability (CIA) of IT systems and data within an organization. They work with administrators and other leaders in the organization to develop and enforce policies related to information security risk management, implementation and control. Typically salaries for information security managers start around $90,000 per year but can reach as high as $200,000.
- Security Engineer – A security engineer is responsible for the development and implementation of security measures for computer systems and networks. They may work for a company that handles cybersecurity or for an outside contractor hired by companies to perform this task. Salaries for security engineers typically start around $70,000 per year but can reach as high as $130,000.
- Chief Security Officer (CSO) – A chief security officer is responsible for the overall management of cybersecurity within an organization. They work with the other leaders in the organization to develop and enforce policies related to information security risk management, implementation and control. Salaries for a chief security officer can range from around $140,000 to $250,000 annually.
How Cyber Security Consultants Make Their Money?
Cyber security consultants typically charge a fixed fee for their services, with an hourly rate often applied for emergency consults. Rates can also be based on the size of the business or organization being consulted on, as well as the level of expertise and experience of the consultant. Many cyber security consultants also offer contract work and freelance services.
Some cyber security consultants also offer educational materials and training, as well as consulting services to businesses in the early stages of cyber security awareness and protection.
What to look for when hiring a cyber security consultant?
When hiring a cyber security consultant, it’s important to consider the specific services that the consultant can offer and the experience that they have in the field. The cost of a consultant’s services will depend on their skill level, certifications, and experience.
If you’re looking for a consultant who can provide general cyber security advice, look for consultants with certification from organizations like the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) or the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). These organizations offer certification in specific cyber security areas, such as information assurance or network security.
If you need help with a specific problem, be sure to ask your consultant about their experience in solving that type of problem. For example, if you’re having trouble logging into your website, your consultant may be able to recommend a fix for that particular issue.
What are the Different Cyber Security Job Fields?
Cybersecurity is one of the fastest-growing fields in the world. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth for cybersecurity jobs was 16% from 2010 to 2020. That means there are a lot of opportunities for people who want to get into this field!
There are a variety of different cyber security job fields you can explore. You can work as a consultant, security guard, software developer, or information security officer. Some salaries for these positions vary depending on experience and qualifications, but most salaries start around $40,000 per year.
What is a Cybersecurity Consultant?
Cybersecurity consultants are a type of professional who work in the cybersecurity field. They help businesses protect themselves from cyberattacks and other digital threats. Many cybersecurity consultants work for companies that provide cyber security services, but some also freelance.
The median annual salary for a cybersecurity consultant is $111,000. The highest-paid 10 percent of cybersecurity consultants earn more than $176,000 per year. The lowest-paid 10 percent of cybersecurity consultants earn less than $81,000 per year.
How to Become a Cybersecurity Consultant?
Cybersecurity consultants are in high demand and can make a lot of money. The average salary for a cybersecurity consultant is $134,500 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS notes that the salaries for cybersecurity consultants vary depending on experience and qualifications. For example, those with five or more years of experience can make up to $177,000 per year. Cybersecurity consultants may also earn bonuses or commissions based on the projects they work on.
What Are the Typical Salaries for a Cybersecurity Consultant?
Cybersecurity consultants typically earn a median annual salary of $120,000. The highest-paid 10% of cybersecurity consultants earn over $160,000 annually, while the lowest-paid 10% earn around $87,000. As with any profession, salaries vary greatly depending on experience and skills.
Cybersecurity consultants make a lot of money. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of May 2016, cybersecurity professionals were projected to hold nearly 171,000 jobs and earn an average annual wage of $106,020. If you’re interested in a career in cyber security consulting, be sure to check out schools that offer programs that will train you for this field.